Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

here's my new story

Go down

here's my new story Empty here's my new story

Post by SunsetBaby Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:15 pm

it doesn't have a name yet but let me know if you have an idea for one or if you like it Smile

One of the earliest memories I have is sitting on my Nana’s lap listening to her read me stories or telling me stories about her childhood. Then Papa would carry me to my room before I fell asleep, and I would listen to Papa, Mama, Nana, and Poppop argue about me living at our farm with Mama and Papa, that’s in the middle of no where, compared to living with Nana and Poppop in the city, with civilization. When I would wake in the morning, Nana and Poppop would be gone and I would go about my chores like normal. Those are some of the worst memories I have, and every time that happens I wish it wouldn’t.

At the age of five I could rope a calf, ride a horse at a gallop, barrel race, clean all of the stalls in our barn by lunch and have them ready for the horses by suppertime. I never did understand why my Nana and Poppop wanted to have me live with them in the big city, I still don’t, other then they think that the farm wasn’t a suitable place for a five year old to live and play at.

I was considerable small for my age, even though, I was the best helper Papa had, or that’s what Sergio, our youngest hired hand said. Sergio was 16 when I was 12. He played with me when neither of us had work to do. He had bright blonde hair, with blue eyes, and he was a little shorter the Papa. Sergio was my one best friend other then my horse before Enzo came. My horse’s name is Spookey Night House, Spookey for short. Back to my height. I was short, yes, but I was stronger then most kids twice my size. Papa says I have the body of a true girl but the guts and heart of a cowboy and that’s, of course, what I plan on being.

Spookey was a pure bred Quarter horse, and he was full-grown at 17.5 hands high. I needed help putting everything on him, even getting on him, but his halter and bridal is one thing he helped me get on him, by putting his head down to my level. Sergio always helped me into the saddle. Spookey was my father’s best no rider cattle herder. Papa gave me Spookey for my Fifth birthday, Spookey then eight years old, but he was as calm as Mama with a baby that’s not hers. Spookey loved me like I was his mare or his foal and I loved him back just as much.

Our other stable hands didn’t really talk to me other then to tell me something I was doing wrong, good job, to tell me to tell Papa something, or to tell Mama that she looked really good today. Papa told me as I got older to stay away from them because of those comments about Mama. Mama said they just didn’t like me cause I can ride better then them.

Our farm, or as were classified in the book, our ranch consists of lots of horses, mostly quarters and thoroughbreds, lots and lots of cattle, sheep, and some crops. When I wasn’t at school I was out on Spookey, herding any of the three animals. I mostly work with the horses and the sheep, Papa won’t let me work with the cows cause of how mean they can be sometimes, even though I was better at herding and roping and riding then the hands (other then Sergio)

When I participate in rodeos, I win. I usually beat all of the boys in my age group. It’s one of the only times that Papa leaves our farm letting it in the hands of the Hands, but he lets Sergio come with us to help me out with Spookey, to cheer me on, and cause he taught me a lot of what I know he gets to sit with Papa and Mama in the stands and not in the dust just like the other Hands, when they do come, have to stand. All together of in and out of state rodeos I have over 150 trophies, medals, and ribbons. And for every new one I win, Sergio builds me a shadow box to put it in.

I’m not writing to tell you that kind of stuff I’m here to tell you about my life from when I was 12 to about now. I’m to tell you about my adventures with Spookey, and Sergio, and how Sergio left when I Spookey died. I’m to tell about how I met my husband and Enzo, and the adventures we had with our horses, Spookey and Wildfire.

The New Stable Hand
Part one

I met Sergio when I was twelve and a half and he was sixteen. By then I was already in competitions but not like I do now. Which now is a lot.

It was a warm Saturday afternoon I walked into the barn leading Spookey to his stall, after a nice run while herding the thoroughbreds. I saw Sergio talking to Papa so I stopped. Sergio saw me and smiled, Papa saw this and stopped talking.

“Come here Royal,” he said then turned to Sergio, “Sergio this is my only child, only daughter, the riding champion who has all the ribbons, and her horse Spookey. Honey this is our new hand Sergio”

Sergio nodded, taking his hat off slightly with it smiling, “howdy miss” I smiled at him glad that he didn’t call me “Little Lady” like the other stable hands call me.

“He’s going to be here for a while, but honey he’s also willing to take you for rides to teach you some stuff that he knows” Papa said grinning ear to ear.

“Your pa is right, I grew up riding on an English saddle I can teach you that and a whole lot more.” He smiled at me and I smiled back

“That would be cool” I looked at Papa to make sure it was all right when he nodded I smiled “well, I have to put Spookey away and Groom him”

“Will you help her Sergio? I would but I have to breed some mares,” after he said that he went to get the mares and the stallion with the other hands.

Sergio looked down at me and smiled “so, miss, where’s his stall?”

“This way” I say as I started walking to his stall, but I passed it, “it’s right there, but I’m going to put him on the cross ties to un tack him.” Sergio nodded and hooked Spookey up for me then Spookey put his head down and I took his bridle off after I put his halter on. Then he put his head back up and stood tall. I went to his stomach and un hooked the girth and Sergio grabbed my saddle and blanket for me. “Thank you” I tell him gratefully “I usually let it drop then I pick it up.”

“But that’s no way to treat your tack” Sergio looked up at me then smiled “But I know you know that but you can’t really help that…..” he trailed off and frowned.

“It’s ok I’m used to it” I grabbed Spookey’s lead and took him to his stall and let him loose I gave him his nighttime Rations of hay and grain. I stood at the stall door and watched him. Sergio came up from behind me and smiled

“He’s a beauty, isn’t he?” I nod and looked at him “when did you get him?”

“When I turned 5” I looked back at Spookey and smiled remembering getting my hyper eight year old stallion. “He was eight, now he’s fifteen, he’s getting old.” I sighed.

“He’s still a pretty stallion.” Sergio looked at me then at Spookey “he’ll be around for a while longer, Quarter horses have long life lines, and he’s pretty healthy for a horse his age”

I looked at him and gave him a weird look, “I know that but I have to sell him once I can’t use him to herd anymore” I sighed looking at Spookey hoping that day would never come

“That’s gotta suck, cause you really love him don’t you?” I nodded then closed his stall and walked to then house leaving Sergio to his work, alone.
SunsetBaby
SunsetBaby
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

http://smalltown.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Back to top Go down