Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Heart Of A Dancer

Go down

The Heart Of A Dancer Empty The Heart Of A Dancer

Post by Guest Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm

A full moon had begun its slow ascent high above me when I awoke.

I was in a small clearing surrounded by spruce, hemlock, and redwood trees. The grass I now laid upon as my bed was soft and thick, like a carpet of soft cotton. The glow of the fluorescent moon cast long glows down upon the earth. Nothing ad been spared in its brilliance; trees, grass, flowers, leaves, and eve myself, were all turned into and surrounded by molten silver. A slight breeze rippled through the meadow, bending the plants to its own selfish rule. Even my mane and tail blew in silvery sheens beside weightless and free.

Yet this beautiful peacefulness was not the reason of my awakening. Even now, as the gentle wind faded away on its journey to the distant mountains, I could feel my own unease, my own anxiety. The meadow became deathly still; not an animal moved, not a breeze stirred. It seemed as if the very earth itself, and every being with it, was holding its breath, waiting, waiting. My eyes, like dark pools filled with ocean water on the darkest of nights, was the only thing about me alive. Small, misty tendrils of my breath lifted up into the frosty air, and black crowds rolled around the unfailing moon in the sky. The rest of my body was still as stone; a silver sentry, a silent guard, who stood apart from those around her. And just like those around her, she was still, and stood waiting, always waiting…

A sudden click nearby and a loud boom, I struggled to my feet. My black legs gathered beneath me and I lurched forward, a silver arrow dashing away from the unseen danger. My breath came in short, quick bursts of air, my nostrils dilated, ears back, eyes wide. My body flew as quiet as a doe’s gentle, experienced footsteps on the soft forest floor.

Another bang and light exploded before my eyes. I skidded to a stop and reared up powerfully into the air before the angry flames, fore legs tucked into my chest. I was helpless before the fury of the fire, and, knowing this, I whirled quickly to my left. Muscles gathered and bunched, straining to get away and leave this terror behind. Yet with frightening speed, the orange and red monster followed close behind at my heels, licking hungrily at anything that crossed its path. Then it was surrounding me, pushing me back. I knew there was only one thing left to do. I turned and ran, straight into the heart of the fiery monster.

Everything was aflame as I galloped wildly, on and on and on. I leapt fallen trees as the burned to ash, letting my instincts take over my entire being once more. I somehow made it to the dark, black lake, a silvery reflection of the full moon right in the middle.

I cantered straight in, water spraying everywhere. The water cooled my hot coat, wiping away all the sweat and ash covering my sleek, dappled form. My body turned iron gray with black dapples as my coat became wet in the dark. Before long I was swimming, legs striking out in front of my and propelling me forward strongly. Water pooled over my back and currents pulled at my legs, yet I managed to keep my head up high, eyes bright with an adrenaline rush. My legs struck the sandy bottom of the lake, and I heaved my wet body out of the water. I galloped over a short expanse of sand, stumbling and breathing heavily. I leapt upon a rock and out my head down near my legs, exhausted, as the black clouds above me unleashed their torrent and water poured down upon me. I stood there and gazed sadly at the forests of my now previous home, destroyed. Sure, I was always traveling, looking for my herd, but always to no avail. I felt like crying, but f course, horses could not cry! So I stood still, head near my front legs, letting the welcomed rain substitute as my own tears, as the clouds themselves seemed to be crying for the waterfall of emotions and painful memories cascading over my mind.

Why did it always have to be me?

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum