Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New Job (DayDreamer)

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My New Job (DayDreamer) Empty My New Job (DayDreamer)

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 am

I had gotten the small truck a year ago when I had saved enough money to buy it from my uncle Ronny Homes a horse trainer for River Bend Stud onwed by the Archer's. Now I had moved from the farm and onto a new racing facility, I had not elarned the name but a source gave me the adress and told me they where looking to hire a rider for there horses. I wanted to elave River Bend Studs for a long time so I could go out and about a pick up some mounts for the big races down south but it had not gone so well as I planed. I had started riding once I could sit in a saddle by myself. I may have not been so good at first but once I turned 16 I got my exsersize license to jog Thoroughbreds in workouts. Now I had my jockey license but evrey spring I helped break the two-year-olds at River Bend Studs, but this new place was looking for a person to hire and payed good. A fancy top stable like River Bend Studs, more up there with the better ones that was hard to get into as a hired hand. But with River bend stud behind me and being a employe there for more than five years I had a good reputation so far. It could give me a boost in getting the job but I was not so sure. I took my job seriusly, I was a top aprentice rider but still trying to get my full fledge license. Comming down the long drive I could see the white fences and long green pastures holding in Thoroughbreds of fine phyisacal perfection. It reminded me of River Bend Studs in some ways, exspet it was biger than River Bend. I could see the large and handsome barns in the background as I pulled up near the training area. Stopping the turck I put it in park and got out closing the door behind me. Looking around for anyone who might be in charge I decided to try the training barn maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

(I hope it's long enough I can make it longer if you want?)

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

My New Job (DayDreamer) Empty Re: My New Job (DayDreamer)

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 pm

(no its great! Smile )

It was still dark when Summer stepped out of her house, her rubber boots still dirty from the rainy night before. She yawned, her father had asked her to work the horses...again. At 5:00AM. She kicked a few stones lazily, sometimes she felt as if her dad never thought she had a life outside the stables. She was glad that he finally decided to hire some new hands, this was getting tiring. She walked over to the stables and pushed open the heavy white door. Stepping onto the stone floors that they just renovated. She walked down the isle's and first walked over to her mare's stall., Paradise, a palomino thoroughbred mix. "hey baby" she cooed and pulled out a sugar cube from her pants and gave it to her. Paradise took the treat and nuzzled Summer's chest. SUmmer gave her one last pat before heading over to the horse she was suppose to. Absolute Star a large bay mare. She grabbed her halter and slipped it on, walking her over to the cross ties. She spent a few minutes grooming her over and tacking her up before taking her into the large outdoor training arena. The sun had come up. She mounted Star and entered the arena, warming up at a walk then trot before going around the gallop at a slop trot and the last few lengths she took her around at a full gallop. Back to a canter, trot then walk cooling her down. She took her out of the arena, still mounted. She noticed a truck start to pull into the long driveway. She stopped star and watched it until it stopped and a guy, maybe her age opened the door and walked out. She walked Summer over to the truck "Can i help you?" she asked looking down on him, star almost breathing onto his shoulder.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Getting out I heard her call to me, turning I could see a girl the same age as myself stop her horse a large bay mare and look at me. Giving a warm smile I walk over but did not get to close. "My name is Riley Ford I was told the owner was looking for more exsrsize riders for his two and three year olds." I said to her. Looking around the farm for a moment I said "I came form River Bend Studs, I worked there for quite some time but I got a tip this place pays pretty well." I said, not that River Bend didn't but I wanted some where new to try. Looking at her horse I could see this was the right place, I guessed she must be four atlest or a little older and no doubt a Thorughbred. I tunr to look back at the barns "Do you know where I could find who is in charge?" I asked. She must be a hire hand or a exsersize rider who rode the horses regularly.

(sorry so short-)

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:07 am

Summer turned Star so that she could face him. A warm smile was on his face...and returned it with a small one of her one. "Summer Dalton" she said with a nod of her head. "and yea he is". She watched him study the grounds and shifted slightly in the saddle. "Hmm River Bend Studs" she said, her father and the owner of that stable use to be close friends, he'd like this one in a instant. "Impressive, thats up there on the list, and yea the pay's great" she said the last part of her words seemed tenser. "um yea he's still in the cottage house, ill just untack star and get him for you" she said quickly, not letting it slip that she was the owner's daughter. She swung her leg over the saddle and unmounted Star. "Wait here ill just be a sec" she said before walking star over to the training barns and untacking star, giving her a quick brush through, and letting her out into the nearby paddock. She jogged back over to Riley, "sorry about that, okay let me take you there" she said with a smile.

(lolz its no problem, if you don't want to they don't have to be really long Very Happy )
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:16 pm

"Yes my uncle is Mr. Archer's head trainer. I'm also a friend of his son's Ray." I said smiling a little, my three friends Mark Alex and Ray where all jockeys but we wroked together on Ray's father's farm River Bend Studs. I smiled though "And thanks." But she dismounted and told me to wait where I stood. As she left I looked over to the house where she said the owner lived. When she came back over to me I said "That's okay, and sure." I said as she started to lead me to the house. "So do you work here?" I asked.

(thanks Very Happy )

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:48 am

Sumemr nodded knowing who they were. She had to admit, it was impressive where he use to work and his connections. Summer started to walk towards her house, leading the way. She smiled at the question and shrugged "you could say that" she said with a sigh. Yea she worked her ass of in the stables and she didn't even get payed, her dad wanted her to continue owning the stable, but she wanted to go to college and move to the city. Her dad knew, and summer didn't really know how to get out of the problem that had now been given to her. She walked up to the door and without knocking walked in. Her father was sitting in the living room drinking cofee. "Good Morning Summer" he said. "there's someone here to see you" she said without returning the greeting. Mr. Dalton, looked up from the newspaper seeing Riley.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 am

I smiled a little as she leads me to the house. I hadnot really been here before only heard of the farm but seeing it and meeting it's employees I knew I would fight in pretty good if I got a job, every one seemed nice so far....or Summer did. As we walked into the house I saw a man siting at a table. He greated her warmly but I could have swore there was a resemblence between the two. Giving it a mental shrug I smile and held out my hand after she introduces us. "My name is Riley Ford, I came to see about a job I heard you where in need of a new exsersize rider?" I said politly. I probably could have made a better first impresion but I did not know how I should prasent myself so I just acted like I always did friendly and to the point. Or so I hoped. "I use to work at River Bend Studs for Mr. Archer and Ronny Homes his trainer." I exsplained.

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am

Summer leaned against the wall as she watched Her dad meet Riley. Her mother came out of the kitchen. "Hey sweetie," she said with a warm smile...like always "How was Star". Summer smiled back at her mom "Great as always" she said. Mrs. Dalton looked at Riley "would you like some cofee i just brewed some" she said, she was shorter than Summer but they had the same dirty blond hair. Mr. Dalton took his hand standing up setting down the newspaper "Ford Dalton, pleased to meet you, yes i have been" Summer smiled slightly and looked down, a lot of people weren't always so straight forward with her father. The gruff look setting them off sometimes. Mr. Dalton raised an eyebrow "Really? River Bend Studs you say? Mr. Archer's a good friend of mine, why'd you decide to leave" he asked with a smile on his face.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 am

When her mother came in Summer and her chatted I got better acquainted with her father seeing he was not use to my personality. "I'm fine thank you but I don't want to be any burden." I said to her mother with a smile when she asked me if I wanted coffee. I look at Mr. Dalton to awnser his question "I worked there since I was 15 as a stable hand and worked my way up to being a licensed exercise rider. My uncle Ronny Homes is the head trainer there so he told me about you needing help." I explained "I do have more experience than that though, I have tried for my jockey license and I'm a apprentice, but mostly I have ridden claimers and older horses but I just started." I said. "I have also helped train the youngsters back at River Bend." I said hoping I qualified for any job they had open. "I also wanted to get more farm and racing stable names on my application for other jobs as well." I said "And I thought this was the right place to try for a job."

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Mrs. Dalton gave a warm smile "Oh its no burden". Summer smiled at her mom "well im really tired so i might as well drink the whole pot" she said going into the kitchen. Mr. Dalton listened intentely to what he had to say. Even if he was his uncle, it was still impressive that Mr. Archer gave him a job. "Apprentice jockey eh?" He said with a smile. "Well i think you'll fit in right here" he said "we're starting to get short on exercise riders this season, and some of the horses still need jockeys, as the stable is growing in prestige we need more riders. Most of them are very experienced but i'd love to give you a job here". Summer came back in with a mug. "well then, welcome to the never ending road of work here" she said with a small glare to her father. Mr. Dalton just sighed. "Summer why don't you give him a tour of the grounds." Summer grumbled something under her breath "why don't I...its not like i have anything better to do". Mr. Dalton looked at Summer "now don't be rude or you'll be mucking out stalls for the next week" he said grabbing the newspaper again. Summer gave him another glare before looking at Riley "alright lets go" she said to him before walking out of the living room. Mrs. Dalton smiled at him "don't worry about her and her mood swings" she said with the same warm smile"

(sorry felt like writing XD lolz)
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 pm

(That's okay If my post aren't that long though just let me know so it's more fair Smile I some times make pretty long posts)

As Mrs. Dalton went into the kitchen I looked at her husband "Thank you sir." I said smiling at him when he told me I would fit in, now I knew I had that job. "I wont disappoint you." I said as summer came back into the room. I saw the glare she gave him as she spoke. As she started to grumble I smiled a little, I was use to working but it seemed she was under stress here maybe it just wasn't something she enjoyed or she was just tired. I got that way some times, as she went toured the door and told me it was time to go and get the tour on with I followed her and called "Thanks again." over my shoulder. I smiled at Mrs. Dalton's commit and walked outside with Summer. "So where do we start?" I asked.

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 pm

(lolz its okay im having writers swing right now XD)

Mr. Dalton smiled at him, "i would hope not" he said a joking tone in a voice. Summer ignored her father and stormed out of the house. Not waiting to see if Riley was following or not. She went outside and took a deep breath before looking behind her to see whether Riley was there or not, she saw him coming out "sorry about that, he just gets me so ....angry sometimes" she said with a shrug. "The training barn, its the closet barn to us right now" she said leading the way toward the barn she had come out with Star.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:09 am

(Yeah I'm having one of those moments sorry- Embarassed )

Following her I said "I understand it's okay." I paused "So what horses live here?" I ask remembering River Bend had three shed rows and a main stable I could still remmeber the horses names to.

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:33 am

(srry havne't been online in a while)

Summer gave him a small smile. Sure you do she thought to herself. "Well over here is the training barn" She said walking over to it and opening the doors, walking into the huge aisle's. A young groom looked up from grooming a young mare. "Hey Summer" he said with a large smile, and saw Riley "who's this?". Sumer smiled at him "hey Ben, this would be Riley our new exercise rider, im just giving him a tour." Ben gave him a nod of a hello and went back to grooming. She looked at Riley again walking through the Aisle's. "Most of our younger horses are here," she said walking with her hands in her pockets
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 am

"Hello." I said and gave Ben a friendly smile then continued to walk with Summer "Oh, yeah that's good. I left becuse most of our two and three-year-olds where shiped off for the early part of the racing season but I guess now I can keep myself bussy here." I said. "I would have gone with them but I just wanted to take a break from race riding." I said. "So you don't like riding the horses five o clock in the morning do you?" I asked smiling a little-

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 am

Summer looked at him "well then you'll have lots to do here!" she said "we have over 16 that are being trained right now, the stable just keeps growing" she said with a smile. Once she heard the his question though she sighed, "At first it was fine, i actually loved getting up in the morning when still most people were asleep and going out on the training track, but after a month or so when you have to like every day its just gets so tiring, and i have no time to go to school like i want to" she said with a small shrug "But i can't do anything about it right now and we're getting more exercise riders so it won't be as bad" she said looking up the smile returning.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:19 pm

"Yeah I understand it being hard with school in your life, I don't go to school....don't have to so I do the whole rutine for a living, some times I got up around 4:00 to fee horses when I was a groom." I said smiling a little. "16 is a lot, is there any horses in paticular I need to meet though?" I asked-

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:24 pm

"Yea well i've sent letters to multiple university's and most have accepted me" she said with a shrug. She grimaced slightly "No way could i keep that up, i'd be dead on my feet every day" she said with a small smile. "yea, and ill take you too the ones your going to most likely be working with" she said walking down the isle to the first horse she wanted to show him, a large Dark Bay stallion with most of his face covered in a white Blaze "this is Western Gentleman although the whole Gentleman part doesn't really fit him...he can be kind of a" she paused "Mule, but he has great times so far and we can't wait for his first races" she said giving him a pat on the cheek.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:36 pm

I smile as I walk over to Western Gentleman, he was a rugged bay tall and well shapep. "He does look pretty ready for racing." I said "How does he go? I mean what's he like to ride?" I reached out to stroke his neck but let my hand fall at my side not knowing if I should. "He's a great lookgin horse to." I added-

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Summer smiled at him "yea he is aren't yea boy, she said with a laugh. She gave a kind of one shoulder shrug "He's hard to get going sometimes, he refuses to listen, throws his head around a lot but once you get him going he's perfect" she said seeing his hand go up and fall back down, "Oh go ahead he doesn't bite to hard" she said jokingly. "Oh and he knows he is don't yea boy" he cooed as Gent reached out with his muzzle towards her.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:58 pm

I smile at the bay and pat his neck "Well I'm pretty good with horses." I say smiling. "He reminds he of Funny Feet a horse back at River Ben Studs, exsept hes not as pretty as Gentleman here, more chuby and long." I say "But there persanalitys are pretty close."

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Summe smiled "well then im sure you and gent will get on fine" she said. "Funny Feet?" she laughed "thats cute" she said. "wel shall we keep going she asked. Showing him all the horses he was going to work with mostly. Cloud Chaser a dapple grey mare, Cherry Dipper a bright red bay, and Can't catch me, a dark bay stallion.
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I met Cloud Chaser next who seemed pretty friendly and relaxed to me. Then there was Cherry Dipper a blood bay who seemed to be matching his given name pretty well. After him was Can't Catch Me a dark bay. I would be working with the four horses so I was pretty happy that I could have a bussy day most of the week. "There all very nicely breed, and well mannered." I said, "We have some pretty nasty tempered one's back at River Bend." I said remembering Magic Man a leading stud who passed his horible temper down to many of his offspring. "Have all of these four been born here?" I ask out of curiosity-

(Great names by the way-) Smile

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Daydreamer Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:26 pm

(aha thanks i love race horsing names so i also love thinking of them)

Summer went through all the next 3 horses talking about them, their times, when they should start racing. "yea most of the horses here are very well mannered there are just a few, a big ones Indigo Blues, he can be really bad ive rode him twice and both times i though he was going to kill me" she said with a sigh. "but he's been winning a lot of races lately so we don't want to sell him but he's always causing trouble." she nodded her head "and yes all except Cherry Dipper we bought him when he was pretty young" she said "Great bloodlines".
Daydreamer
Daydreamer
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Man O' War Lover Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:41 pm

"Yeah I have rode some pretty mean or nasty ones, I got use to being thrown around inside the starting gate though." I say smiling, "Most just have a hard time corparating." I said. "Mr. Archer is into the Mr. Prospector bloodlines and A. P. Indy bloodlines." I paused "So what ones do you ride now?" I asked-

(Yeah I have names such as- Storm Stide, Funny Feet, Bay Water's, Magic Arrow, The Captin, Fireflight, Fire Star, Deep Silence, And farm names such as Star Striken Racing Inc. Four Winds, and River Bend Studs, I got a bunch of characters that go with them but I can't list them all. And the studs Party Shoes, Magic Man, Hummingbird Knight.)

Man O' War Lover
Super Player
Super Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next