Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse)

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse) Empty Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse)

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Allie-
I sit on the bleachers, my hands clasped in my lap tightly. And they clear the round, with a fantastic time, with 14.2 seconds! The loudspeaker blared. Everyone rises to thier feet and cheers, but I stay sitting, staring at the next horse in line. Next up, Kyle Berkenson, on Diablo! Everyone claps, then sits down, watching the gate, and waiting for the rider to start his round. He was riding a Pinto horse, with beautiful black and white markings. The rider on his back looks tense, and kicks the horse into place. The horse skitters sideways, feeling the sharp pain as Kyle's spur jabs him in the side.
Kyle pulls back on the reins, and mutters something to the horse, his face angry. I stare at them, wondering what was wrong with the rider.

And go!

A gunshot sounds, and the horse burst through the gate, eyes wide and nostrills flared. Kyle raises his hand, and smacks a leather whip down in place on the horses rump, leaving a long mark. The horse goes faster, then rears, almost throwing Kyle off. The crowd rose and cheered, thinking that this was the best barrel run they had seen in a while. The horse again bolts forward, and Kyle yanks on his bit, making him turn sharply around the first barrel. Kyle's knee bumped it, and it teetered over with a small thump. Diablos mouth dripped with foam and the rider made him finish the course, knocking over the last barrel, and Kyle whipping him the whole way though it. They exit the arena, the horses sides heaving and sweat dripping off of him.

Uh, a very interesting round on Kyle and Diablo.

I watch Kyle snap a whip, making Diablo rush into the trailer. Then he gets into the truck and roares away, leaving a plume of dust behind him.

Two Weeks Later

"Come on honey, lets go!" My mom yells. I rush downstairs, and throw my hair up in a messy bun. She heads outside, and started the car, honking the horn impatiently. "I'm COMING!" I yell, and rush outside, slamming the screen door behind me. I get into the car, my face flushed.
We drive in silence, then reach the Horse sale. Before the car stops, I jump out and wait for mom. She gets out, and shakes her head at me. "I am only doing this for the club, do you understand! And no horses!" She says, before stomping off to join her Baking club, who was selling all sorts of goodies and horse treats. I didnt listen, and headed off into the slew of horses, all tied to thier trailers, or being exercised in a ring to show off thier movement.
I smile, and head over to a beautiful Buckskin, patting her nose and feeding her a carrot. "Hey, you cant do that!" The new buyer raged, but I ignored him, moving on.
Then I saw him. Diablo. I rushed up to him, and hugged him close, not knowing why. Kyle saunters up, a smug grin on his face. "How much ya give for him?" He poked the horse roughly in the side, and Diablo skitters away. I close my eyes, my mothers words echoing in my head. No horses! I look at Kyle straight in the eyes. "How much ya want for him?" I jest. He rolls his eyes, but then decides on a price. "Five hundred." He says, then smirks. I raise an eyebrow, the start to walk away. "Sorry, dont have that." I say, throwing him a glance.
He rushes up beside me. "Well, um what about two hundred?" I shake my head, and continue to walk. "Ok, one hundred. I cant get any better!" He whines in my ear. Again, I shake my head, then turn to him. "I'll give ya fifty bucks." I say, and pat my pocket with the money I had smuggled from my room. He nods, looking happy to be getting rid of the horse. I hand over the money, then go and untie Diablo.
Then my mother walks up beside us, frowning. "Whats going on?" She asks.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse) Empty Re: Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse)

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:16 pm

I snorted angrily, flicking my tail at flies. I fidgeted, as always, tugging anxiously on the rope that held me in place. I would've been pacing around in circles, if it hadn't been for that blasted rope that that blasted human always put on me! I snorted, flaring my nostrils, taking in the new scents of people and horses. I watched as a young girl, who caught my attention, was feeding another horse a carrot. I was rather jealous and stomped my hoof, whinnying over to her, but it was unlikely that she could hear me with all the rest of the commotion. I flicked my ears back and forth, faintly able to pick up Kyle's voice from among the crowd. That annoying brute! My sides and rump still hurt from the whips.
Before I had time to react, the girl I'd seen earlier came up to me and wrapped her arms around me in a hug. I was momentarily confused and stepped back a little bit, but my figure hardened and became rigid when I saw Kyle come up. I pinned my ears slightly, hoping he wouldn't see, afraid he might whip me again. I still didn't understand what I'd done wrong! Maybe if he hadn't pushed me so hard, he would've gotten a little more respect out of me. I snorted and moved away when he jabbed his finger into me, and restrained myself from biting him right then and there. The two two-legs were debating on something, and Kyle was looking oddly desperate. The idea sent me snorting into a short laugh. I watched as the girl came back for me and untied my ropes, leading me along behind her.
I tilted my ears forward to listen to whatever she had to say. I flicked my tail and caught Kyle on the face with it when I walked past him. I stumbled backwards as an older woman came up to us, and I tilted my head slighty, curious as to why she seemed so.... aggitated.

Back to top Go down

Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse) Empty Re: Diablo, Competition with the Enemy. (About a rescued horse)

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:39 pm

Allie-
"Mom! Uh, well-" I explain the whole situation to her, and with each sentance her scowl grows deeper. "Mom, as a birthday present?" I plead, and softly pet the horse on the nose, sneaking a carrot out of my pocket and holding it behind me. "A birthday present? She asks. "Yes mom, My birthday is tomarrow. Please?" I ask my eyes wide and asking. She finally nods once, perkly, then walked away, back to her bake sale, her lips tight. I turn to the horse and smile.

(She is about 14)
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:47 pm

[ okay :D ]

I snorted and watched the older female stare at the younger one, a rather ugly look on her face. I titled my head and noticed a carrot behind the girl's back, eagerly leaping at the chance to get the orange delight. I pulled the carrot from her hand and chewed on it, the green lettuce-y part of the carrot dangling from one side of my mouth. I snorted as the older lady began to walk away and pranced behind the younger girl, excitedly, hoping that she had another carrot. Her hand pet my muzzle gently and I breathed onto it, bobbing my head when she turned around, smiling. I guessed that meant something good had happened. I ran my forehead into the girl's chest and began to nibble around on her shirt, pulling it, searching for another carrot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:53 pm

I grinned and gently pushed him away, then led him to a friend of mine. The trip home was arranged, they would take me home with him. I texted my mom. Brining him home, see you soon. Thanks. Flipping the phone shut, I led him up to the trailer, everyone watching. I was sure they noticed his scars and marks. I heard someone saying that he should of been sold to the slaughter house. Horrified, I try to coax him into the trailer, my words soft and comforting. I rubbed his ear softly.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I snorted and aggitatedly pulled her hair, wanting another carrot. I whinnied almost directly in her ear. Suddenly, I recognized the words "slaughter house" and wondered where she was taking me. I planted my hooves in the ground and refused to move, even though we were so close to being boarded into the trailer. My eyes widened until the whites were showing. Although her words were laced with serenity and a soft concern, the fear from the words still struck my heart. Kyle had oftened threatened me with those words. I yanked back on the rope and kept my feet planted in the dirt, refusing to budge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

My heart sinks. "Its alright, easy boy. It will be ok. I promise." I sooth, petting him softly and crooning in his ear. "You need food and shelter." I say, noting his skinny frame and obvious rain rot on his coat. I glare at the slaughter house man, and he stops talking. I step forward, but I dont yank the lead. I wait for him to make his own choice.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I snorted angrily at her assumption. How did she know everything was going to 'be all right?' She didn't know, did she? I snorted and half-bucked, trying to pull away, but the temptation of a nice, warm shelter, and food, was almost too much for me to bare. I stopped resisting for a moment and stepped slightly forward, my eyes still on the people that surrounded me, fear still crowding my thoughts, and I warily stepped one foot forward, looking into the darkness of the trailer that seemed to taunt me, telling me I couldn't do it, telling me it wasn't possible, and that she was going to be the one that was going to lead me off to the slaughterhouse. I pushed back all of the annoying voices in my head and stepped closer until my muzzle was resting gently behind her shoulder, and I shied away from the entrance of the trailer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 pm

I sighed. "Alright then, I guess we walk." I say, and wince as I already feel a blister from my new shoes. I lead him forward, away from the people, and the trailer. Softly, I continue to talk to him in a low voice. "And we even have a barn for you to sleep in. Granted there hasent been many animals in there, but it will be very nice. There is soft straw, and I someone is bringing over a bunch of hay. We have a pasture too."
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I snorted when she commented about walking. Walking? We were gonna walk? I noticed from the corner of my eye that she was limping slightly. What was wrong with her feet? I tilted my head and tentatively laid on the ground, pretty much ignoring everything that was coming out of her mouth. I looked up at her, waiting expectantly for her to get on my back. I flicked my head, getting rid of the pesky flies. Seems they were worse on the ground than they were in the air. No wonder they liked to bite my legs so much! I grunted and continued to wait for the familiar weight on my back, slightly expecting her to be lighter than Kyle, whom, in my opinion, was a fat greedy pig. I rolled my eyes and looked at the people watching us, suddenly feeling extremely self-conscience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:26 pm

He lays down, and I cock an eyebrow, slightly myphed. But I realize that he might want me to ride him! I slowly limp over to his back and tentitivly lay a hand on it, pushing down so he got used to a bit of weight. I ignored the people staring, the buyers, and I just concentrated on him. I pet him softly, the sat on his back gently. I was very light, tall and slim. I pet him softly. "Good boy."
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:26 pm

I snorted and vexatedly awaited for her to get on my back. I felt her soft hand on my back as she continued to get me used to the pressure, although I was already pretty used to pressure, considering I had let Kyle ride me. I flicked my ears backwards to hear any commands she might have for me when I felt her finally get on my back. I slowly got to me feet, back legs first, then front, and I shook my mane, starting off in what I hoped was the right direction. If not, I trusted the girl to change my direction with the rope that was still attached to my muzzle, as a makeshift bridle. I bobbed my head and snorted in the face of the man who had mentioned the slaughterhouse, proud now, to know that she wasn't taking me there. I continued to walk at a slow and easy pace, letting her enjoy the ride and the scenery I didn't know if she had seen before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I gasped as he stood up, and started to walk, still atached to the lead rope. I pet him softly, crooning to him. "Wow, good boy!" I excaim, my hips moving back and forth, as I was used to riding. To see what he knew, I pressed the rope against one side of his neck, seeing if he neckreined. I kept my feet away from his sides, making sure he knew that I wasent going to spur him.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm

I flicked my ears back as she made a noise, only to realize it was her gasping. I bobbed my head happily, thinking I was at least doing something right. I couldn't help but feel a swell of pride when she praised me, and I whinnied, wanting another carrot. I felt her press the rope against one side of my neck but was momentarily confused. I was used to having a hard-iron bit to direct me, but I supposed this is how she was going to direct me. I bobbed my head again lightly, my mane flopping over my roan hide. I turned in that direction, almost going in a full circle before deciding to stop. It was odd not having her legs against my barrel, as I was accustomed to, but I assumed she was trying to be comforting, and I welcomed that fully.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 am

I smiled and petted him as he sorted out what I wanted. I then gently squeezed his barrel, and clicked with my tounge. Kyle then came up behind us. "Ya gotta use a whip on the mule!" I snickered, cracked a whip close to Diablos rump.

(Sorry so short, im going to say sss from now on, lol)
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 am

I flicked my ears backwards, then forwards, then backwards again, listening to all the sounds and commands she was giving. I slowly started forward again, when I heard Kyle's voice behind me. I grunted angrily and bucked slightly, bolting forward. I accidentally knocked over a barrel of water, sending the water spraying onto the other horses and sending them into a frenzy of panic. With the other horses freaking out, I began to become extrodinarily confused and began to gallop in tight circles, as if running around barrels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 am

I didnt panic as he bolted forward, just rode him, my hips absorbing the engergy and movement he was creating. I soothed him, and got splashed with dirty water from a barrel. I directed him towards home, and squeezed him to go faster, but lightly, as not to scare him. My hand played with his mane, and petted him the whole time.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am

I snorted and hesitantely turned in the direction she was telling me to go in. My strides lengthened as I felt her urge me to go faster, and I bolted away from the other horses, and mainly, away from Kyle. I nearly ran into a parked car, but managed to dodge it just in time, scraping my hindquarters on the edge of the truck and letting out a sharp neigh, feeling a tiny bit of blood trickle down my thigh. I continued to head in the direction she wanted me to, my nostrils flared and the whites of my eyes showing, wondering where on earth the whip had gone, and if she was going to hurt me with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:24 am

I could tell he was frightened, and I pull him into a circle, making hims slow down enough for me to slip off of his back, my feet landing on the dirt with a crunch. I lean my head against his neck, and breath in his scent. "He really messed you up, didnt he?" I asked, but it was more of a statement. Kyle had really ruined this horses life. Then, an idea popped into my head. What if I retrained Diablo, and we entered into a competition! A competition against Kyle?!
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 am

I snorted as she pulled me into a circle, and calmed down once she dismounted. I didn't want to intentionally hurt her. I felt her head against my neck, although my feet still lifted and pranced on the ground nervously as my eyes darted from one place to another, wondering where on earth the whip had gone. I was suddenly aware of all the scars on my body from what Kyle had done as I listened to her talk about me. I breathed out deeply and snorted again, bobbing my head nearly uncontrollably. I also began to ponder what she was thinking, as i could see that gleam in her eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:05 am

I raise my head up off of his neck. "Easy boy. Do you think we could do it? Beat Kyle and show him what a great horse you really are?" I ask my eyes kind and shining. I click my tounge and we walk forward, my steps matching his. I look in his eyes, one blue and the other brown. "You dont like Kyle, do you?" I ask, running a hand over one of his multiple pink scars.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:25 am

I listened patiently to her proposition. I was scared. I didn't want to have all those eyes watching me and the cruel treatment if I messed up again. I didn't like the show life -- or what I had seen of it. I kept on eye on her and stared uncertainly into her shining orbs. I walk forward obediantly, thinking it over, wishing I could talk to her and she could understand my words. I nickered, agreeing with her comment about Kyle. He was a cruel, heartless pig. I hated that man with every fiber of my being, though my fear of him masked the anger that roiled within me. I was growing weary from my random bolt, and let my mind wander, wondering when we'd get home. I flinched gently when her fingers ran over my scars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I feel the warmth of his body next to mine, and then, an a few minutes, I see the long gravel driveway that led to my house. I smiled at him, eyes shining. "Were home!" I say, and jog forward, exited to show him around his new home, almost like showing a new friend around my place. We reach the barn, and the door lay wide open, a bed of straw prepared in a stall I had bedded last night, just in case. Good thing I had too. I noticed that there was fresh hay in the corner, and I stopped in the enterence of the barn.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I snorted as I listened to her say the word 'home' and my ears immediately went forward. I went into a slow trot as she continued to start in a jog, and I snorted and watched around the barn. The smell of fresh hay was extremely welcoming and I whinnied, wondering why there were no other horses. This girl seemed to love horses, so why weren't there others? I ignored it and gently dragged her behind me, immediately going over to the hay and sticking my muzzle in, chomping on it, and bringing my head up with a large mouthful of hay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spritz Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:59 pm

I smile and pull him back, but walk him into the stall, filled with the golden hay. I close the gate after me, and then retrieve a few flakes of the hay, holding it out in my hands. My heart filled with joy as I look at my new horse. But also, I felt sad as I saw his scars.
Spritz
Spritz
Advanced Star Player
Advanced Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next