Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Number-smart Parrot (More like information than a story...but...yah)

Go down

The Number-smart Parrot (More like information than a story...but...yah) Empty The Number-smart Parrot (More like information than a story...but...yah)

Post by Goldfire1200 Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 pm

I was reading a news article about how smart some animals were thought to be. So far, I had read about dogs, cats and dolphins...I've heard it all before. Just as I was about to put it down, I turned the last page and the heading caught my eye. It was about a bird that knew the concept of the number zero. Apparently, he could count. This is what I read:

Henry, a parrot who resides in a sceince lab up in Japan, has shocked and amzed the sceintists with his newly accuired talent. Animal expert, Cathy Willams was testing the bird early one morning, as usual. The bird was being a bit uncorropative, so she held back on the treats. Willams held out a tin pan of colored beads and asked, "How many is red?" with a sqwak, Henry dropped his beak against the side of the pan, sending the beads flying.

He opened his wings and bobbed his head, crying, "Green! Green! Green!!"

Willams chuckled and stared at the bird. "Ok, smarty..." she said. "How many is green?"

She was utterly shocked when the bird replied, "Zero!" and folded his colorful wings. She stood there, surprised. Henry had just tricked her into asking the question and he had answered correctly! Obviously, this parrot understood what it meant to have zero, or none, of the colored beads. He is being tested with other kinds of number tests and has baffled even the leading experts in animal sceince.

I was just as surprised. That was such a cool story, that I told everyone of my friends at school the next day. Some of them belived it, others did not. I know that I sure believe it! But...the choice is yours, what do you think?
Goldfire1200
Goldfire1200
Beginner Player
Beginner Player

Back to top Go down