Call of the Wild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life is Hard Sometimes (Dark**Light)

2 posters

Go down

Life is Hard Sometimes (Dark**Light) Empty Life is Hard Sometimes (Dark**Light)

Post by • Echo Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:27 am

Cold air drifted into the room, bright light from a full moon bathing everything it touched in a silvery glow. Far on the horizon, pink was beginning to break through the endless supply of blue, black, and the silvery white of the stars and the moon. The color grew, spreading out in all directions and giving way to colors of gold, orange, red, and a lighter blue. The sun chased away the moon and the chill , bringing warmth and a brightness that the moon could never hope to achieve.

Katie Rose lay on her bunk, staring across the small room as the silver light was gradually replaced with swaths of gold. She knew she should be getting up. A few more minutes and the sun would appear and, with it, her mum, scolding her for staying in so late. She had to go milk the cows and help her mum, but she felt no inclination to get up. To her surprise, no one came to wake her even as the sun began to rise over the mountains. Sitting up slowly, she strained her eyes to listen for any sign of someone up in the house. From downstairs, she could hear hushed voices, and a door opened then closed. Through her open window, she could hear footsteps walking away towards the barn. Sliding slowly out of the bed, she got dressed as quickly and quietly as she could before opening her bedroom door and tiptoeing downstairs. In the kitchen, her mother sat at the table, holding a cup of coffee and staring off into space. When she took a step forward, her Mom's head shot up and she fixed Katie with a blank stare.

"Katie?" she called out hesitantly, and Katie went towards her slowly.

"Yeah, Mum, it's me," she said softly, and she saw her mom visibly relax. Ever since her mom had lost her sight, nohing had been the same, and Katie doubted that it ever would be.

"Your brother went out to do the morning chores for you," her mom said after a moment of silence, and Katie looked back at her.

"That was nice of him," she said slowly, and her mom nodded.

"Yes. Your father wants to take you into town today," her mom answered, slowly taking a sip of the hot liquid she held in her cup. Katie blinked in surprise.

"He does?"

"Yes. He'll explain why when he comes in from the fields. Now, can you go and collect the hens' eggs for me?". Katie suppressed a sigh and started towards the door, grabbing the egg basket on her way out.

"Yes, Ma'am," she said, walking out into the early morning air.

424 words, and not my best ^.^ sorry.
• Echo
• Echo
Honorable Member

Back to top Go down

Life is Hard Sometimes (Dark**Light) Empty Re: Life is Hard Sometimes (Dark**Light)

Post by Dark**Light Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:03 pm

Colin had gotten up early and slowly walked out of the mansion. 'Why have we got to live like this?' He thought. He was always tired of waking up to a butler or maid in the room. He wanted to wake up in a normal house. Colin had woken up just in time to see the sun rise. 'Time to get my guitar and books ready.' thought Colin. Colin slowly turned around and walked up the large, marble steps to the house. He sneaked back up to his room and quietly opened the door to get his stuff. Only to find the maid Catherine.
"Where are you going at this hour, Colin?" said Catherine. Catherine had a crush on Colin...and he knew it. Catherine was about his age...maybe a month or so older.

Colin guiltily smiled and said "I was gonna grab my guitar and head out to town. See if I could earn a nickel or two." Colin stepped in and smiled.

Catherine frowned and said, sternly "You know your father doesn't like it when you go out there. Surrounded by the unwealthy."

Colin glared at her and said "Any nickel I earn is getting me closer to leaving this dump!"

Catherine stood up tall and said "DUMP! I spend hours working on this house so you should be glad to be living in this place!"

Colin smiled an evil smile and yelled "You know what! I'm tired of waking up to you creeps! So get out of my room, Catherine! Just GET OUT!"

Catherine stuck her nose in the air and said "HUMPH!" She promptly walked out of the room and into the great hall.

Colin smiled and thought 'Finally. Peace and quiet.' Only then came the parents arguing...again. Colin sighed and thought 'Guess I'll have to use the window.' Colin grabbed his things and slid open the window. He slipped his guitar and books onto the flat part of the roof, then climbed out himself. He slid the window shut and slowly walked along the roof. Then came the hard part. He had to drop off into the hay bails perfectly...otherwise he might break a bone. Colin dropped the Guitar and books onto the hay and then leaped down. He stood up and said "Well, that went well." He picked up the guitar and the books. Then he walked to the stairs and sat down on them. The marble was cold in the morning so he made haste to get his books into a pocket in the guitar case. Colin stood up and walked to the fork in the road. He had traveled the road many times...almost enough for him to walk the road blind folded. Colin arrived at the town and settled himself on the ridge of the small fountain. He opened the guitar case and pulled out the guitar and took a second to tune it. Then he pulled out a small jar and closed the case. Colin rested the guitar on his lap and began to play... and sing.

(the song is Hey There Delilah and this is what Catherine looks like.
Catherine: http://s.tidebuy.com/images/product/1/1729/1729502_1.jpg )
Word Count: 505
Dark**Light
Dark**Light
Advanced Player
Advanced Player

Location : Curled up in a hole ready for the cold embrace of death

Back to top Go down